There are so many reasons to love this recipe. Allow me to extol its virtues and enumerate a bit:
1. It’s easy to prepare and it cooks quickly.
2. Substitutions and additions are definitely encouraged.
3. It’s delicious and nutritious.
4. It smells fantastic as it cooks.
5. It’s a great way to use seasonal produce.
6. The medley looks exactly like fall foliage.
Seriously, this is one of the best things I’ve made all autumn (I don’t care that it was 19 degrees this morning, it’s still autumn to me!). If you’re looking at the list and you think that you don’t like some of the ingredients (I’m reminded of a friend who would without fail exclaim “Beets are HIDEOUS!” when offered them), try them in this recipe. Some of them (like beets) have a totally different flavor and texture when roasted than they do when, say, boiled. Or when mashed with marshmallows (and that’s why I thought sweet potatoes were gross for twenty-two years!). Other ingredients, like shallots, will never cease to surprise you with their delicious, delicate, and sophisticated flavor and the way they seem to melt when they hit your tongue. And still others that weren’t included this time around, like butternut squash, would be truly divine.
Roasted fall vegetable medley
A Jitterbean original